Are you having a hard time working together as a couple? Do you ever feel like your business is coming between your relationship?
People always ask Mike and I how we are able to work so great together as couple. It’s always funny when we get asked this question, because we didn’t always work well together. It has definitely been a learning process along the way, and there has definitely been a few times where we wanted to kill each other. Thankfully that didn’t happen and we made it through the storm stronger and happier then ever. Today we share with you some of our best tips for working together as a couple. If you are having a hard time building business as a couple don’t worry you guys will get through it. Just have to be willing to learn new ways of thinking.
How to work together as a couple:
1. Define your Rolls – Create a list of all the things that need to be done to make your family & business function. For example: Prospecting, social media content, follow up, calling leads, emails, booking events, pick up the kids from school etc. Then go through the list as couple and pick out who is in charged of each roll. The best thing you can do when working together as a couple is let each individual focus the majority of their time on their strengths rather then wasting time trying to improve on their weaknesses. Defining rolls also helps each individual understand their roll and what they need to focus on daily.
2. Have Zero Expectations – Sometimes as partners we can keep tab on each others actions. This can cause a lot of unnecessary arguments and tension. The best thing you can is take 100% responsibility for your action and focus on what you need to do. If we are always calling out our significant other on what they aren’t doing for the business this won’t inspire them to take action this will just more than likely cause them to shut down. You will free yourself up a lot if you have zero expectations and just operate your personal best each day.
3. Dont play the blame game – Remember you are a team! Don’t turn on each other when things aren’t going as planned. It’s easy to blame when adversity hits, make a promise to each other that you are in it together and take full responsibility as a team for the high times and the low times.
4. Support Each Others Ideas – Support each others ideas even if you don’t understand them. This is something I had to learn, I used to always shut down Mike’s ideas without really hearing him out. I can be a little bit controlling in our business sometimes and me doing this caused him to shut down. Through communicating and working through this issue that we had, we now support each others ideas and empower each other instead of discouraging other.
5. Dont Coach Each Other- Seek mentorship elsewhere. Go to an upline, hire a coach, but do not go to each other for coaching. It’s hard to have mentoring conversations with a significant other. There are too many emotions involved and we can sometimes take the things our partners say really personal. It’s better to go to someone else for guidance so you can be open and vulnerable and not feel defensive.
6. Dont Try to Change Each Other – This is a common mistake couples make. Don’t try to mold your significant other into something that they are not. This will kill their confidence in this business, and make them feel like they aren’t good enough. Accept your partner for everything they are and everything they are not. If they have growing to do let them learn on their own. Too many times we try to mold people into who we want them to be, or we want our partners to be more like us. Allow your partner to be who they are and build business with their uniqueness. That’s the great thing about the network marketing industry, you don’t have to be anything you are not. Who you are is enough.
7. Create the Plan Together, but be ok with Executing Differently – This may be tough for some of you to take, but you don’t have to do everything together. You can have a plan and execute differently. You can have your own individual ways of building your business. This is something that saved our relationship. We like working together but we also like doing a lot of things separately. Once we got clear that we could support each other in doing things our own way and can also be a power couple we started dominating.
8. Always ask How Can I Motivate, Uplift, and Support my Partner- Building business is hard enough. There will be challenges along the way, there will might be some bad days. The last thing we need is a significant other thats also unsupportive and negative. At the end of the day it’s important to remember you want the same thing. To be happy and to create an unbelievable lifestyle for your family. Support each other in making your dreams come true and be the backbone for each other. Supporting each other is the best thing you can do for each other.
Below is a Facebook live Michael and I did a few months, where we dive deep into some of the struggles we had working together as a couple and how we overcame them.
How to work together as a couple? If you are wanting to dominate as a power couple this video is for you! Michael Odumewu
Posted by Danielle Bernal on Saturday, October 1, 2016
More recourses for you:
Facebook: Danielle on Facebook
Considering Coaching? Check out my Work with Me tab and Survey where we help people Everyday.
PS: Get Your Free Audio 7 EASY STEPS TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL WORK AT HOME MOM IN UNDER 2 HOURS A DAY!